Choice’s Outstanding Academic Titles, 2013: Top 25 Books
- Affluence and Influence: Economic Inequality and Political Power in America, by Martin Gilens. Russell Sage Foundation/Princeton, 2012. 329p ISBN 9780691153971, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE April 2013.
- The African American Electorate: A Statistical History, by Hanes Walton Jr., Sherman C. Puckett, and Donald R. Deskins Jr. SAGE Publications/CQ Press, 2012. 2v ISBN 9780872895089, $350.00. Reviewed in CHOICE January 2013.
- The Art of Modern China, by Julia F. Andrews and Kuiyi Shen. California, 2012. 364p ISBN 9780520238145, $80.00; ISBN 9780520271067 pbk, $30.00. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- Betrayed by Nature: The War on Cancer, by Robin Hesketh. Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. 255p ISBN 9780230338487, $28.00. Reviewed in CHOICE January 2013.
- Brutes or Angels: Human Possibility in the Age of Biotechnology, by James T. Bradley. Alabama, 2013. 338p ISBN 9780817317881, $34.95; ISBN 9780817386580 e-book, $34.95. Reviewed in CHOICE December 2013.
- Bunker Hill: A City, a Siege, a Revolution, by Nathaniel Philbrick. Viking, 2013. 598p ISBN 9780670025442, $32.95. Reviewed in CHOICE October 2013.
- City of Promises: A History of the Jews of New York: v.1: Haven of Liberty; v.2: Emerging Metropolis; v.3: Jews in Gotham, gen. ed. Deborah Dash Moore. New York University, 2012. 3v ISBN 9780814776322, $99.00. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- The Color of Christ: The Son of God & the Saga of Race in America, by Edward J. Blum and Paul Harvey. North Carolina, 2012. 340p ISBN 9780807835722, $32.50. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- Compromise: A Political and Philosophical History, by Alin Fumurescu. Cambridge, 2013. 298p ISBN 9781107029439, $90.00. Reviewed in CHOICE November 2013.
- The Economics of Inequality, Poverty, and Discrimination in the 21st Century: v.1: Causes; v.2: Solutions, ed. by Robert S. Rycroft. Praeger, 2013. 2v ISBN 9780313396915, $110.00; ISBN 9780313396922 ebook, contact publisher for price. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- The End of Leadership, by Barbara Kellerman. Harper Business, 2013 (c2012). 233p ISBN 9780062069160, $27.99. Reviewed in CHOICE June 2013.
- The Endgame: The Inside Story of the Struggle for Iraq, from George W. Bush to Barack Obama, by Michael R. Gordon and Bernard E. Trainor. Pantheon Books, 2012. 779p ISBN 9780307377227, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE June 2013.
- Envisioning Emancipation: Black Americans and the End of Slavery, by Deborah Willis and Barbara Krauthamer. Temple, 2013. 223p ISBN 9781439909850, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE July 2013.
- Heart of Darkness: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Invisible Universe, by Jeremiah P. Ostriker and Simon Mitton. Princeton, 2013. 299p ISBN 9780691134307, $27.95; ISBN 9781400844647 ebook, $27.95. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Karl Marx: A Nineteenth-Century Life, by Jonathan Sperber. Liveright, 2013. 648p ISBN 9780871404671, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- The King of Infinite Space: Euclid and His Elements, by David Berlinski. Basic Books, 2013. 172p ISBN 9780465014811, $55.00; ISBN 9780465033461 ebook, contact publisher for price. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Mao: The Real Story, by Alexander V. Pantsov with Steven I. Levine. Simon & Schuster, 2012. 755p ISBN 9781451654479, $35.00. Reviewed in CHOICE April 2013.
- The Princeton Encyclopedia of Islamic Political Thought, ed. by Gerhard Bowering et al. Princeton, 2012. 656p ISBN 9780691134840, $75.00. Reviewed in CHOICE June 2013.
- The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks, by Jeanne Theoharis. Beacon Press, 2013. 304p ISBN 9780807050477, $27.95; ISBN 9780807050484 ebook, contact publisher for price. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Sharing the Prize: The Economics of the Civil Rights Revolution in the American South, by Gavin Wright.Â Belknap, Harvard, 2013. 353p ISBN 9780674049338, $35.00.Â Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- Taxes in America: What Everyone Needs to Know, by Leonard E. Burman and Joel Slemrod. Oxford, 2013. 280p ISBN 9780199890279, $74.00; ISBN 9780199890262 pbk, $16.95. Reviewed in CHOICE March 2013.
- The United States and China: A History from the Eighteenth Century to the Present, by Dong Wang. Rowman & Littlefield, 2013. 377p ISBN 9780742557819, $89.00; ISBN 9780742557826 pbk, $29.95; ISBN 9780742557833 ebook, $28.99. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- The Violin: A Social History of the World's Most Versatile Instrument, by David Schoenbaum.Â W. W. Norton, 2012. 710p ISBN 9780393084405, $39.95.Â Reviewed in CHOICE July 2013.
- The Virtues of Poetry, by James Longenbach.Â Graywolf Press, 2013. 169p ISBN 9781555976378 pbk, $14.00.Â Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- The Whole Story of Climate: What Science Reveals about the Nature of Endless Change, by E. Kirsten Peters. Prometheus Books, 2012. 290p ISBN 9781616146726, $26.00. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
Choice’s Outstanding Academic Titles, 2013: Top Ten Internet Resources
- ARTstor Digital Library. ARTstor Inc. Contact publisher for pricing. Reviewed in CHOICE September 2013.
- Brepols Miscellanea Online; Brepols Periodica Archive. Brepols. Contact publisher for pricing. Reviewed in CHOICE November 2013.
- China: Culture and Society. Adam Matthew. Contact publisher for pricing (based on Carnegie Classification and JISC); includes nominal hosting fee, payable every five years. Reviewed in CHOICE February 2013.
- Doing Business, from the World Bank. Reviewed in CHOICE October 2013.
- Ethnic American Newspapers from the Balch Collection, 1799-1971. Readex. For academic libraries, Readex offers a one-time tiered purchase price with an annual maintenance fee. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
- Global Plants. JSTOR. Annual access fees for higher institutions range from $750.00 to $3,800.00. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.
- Kaiser Family Foundation. Reviewed in CHOICE March 2013.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online. Oxford. Contact publisher for pricing. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- Routledge Performance Archive. Routledge. Pricing for academic libraries is based on concurrent user or FTE, starting at $2,400.00. Reviewed in CHOICE August 2013.
- Undercover Reporting: Deception for Journalism's Sake: A Database. Reviewed in CHOICE May 2013.